logo

Lewis County Part 3- Lewis County and the waterfalls on Fish Creek and the Deer River

Line Brook State Forest, waterfalls in 9-11-2017

Lewis County
Part 3- Lewis County and the waterfalls on Fish Creek and the Deer River

By Bobbieswaterfalls

Towns that are within the Tug Hill Region
Denmark, Harrisburg, Lewis, Leyden, Lowville, Martinsburg, Montague, Osceola, Pinckney, Turin, West Turin
Region: Northern Region
NYS Tourism Region: Adirondack Mountains
NYDEC Region: Western Adirondacks/Eastern Lake Ontario

Denmark is a town in Lewis County, named after the Kingdom of Denmark in northern Europe. The town is on the northwest border of Lewis County and lies east of Watertown.
History
The town of Denmark was first settled around 1800. The town was formed in 1807 from the town of Harrisburg.
Geography
The northwest town line is the border of Jefferson County, and the Black River forms the east town line. The Deer River, running through the north part of the town, is a tributary of the Black River.
Both New York State Route 12 and New York State Route 26 run in a northwest to southeast direction through the town, paralleling the Black River. New York State Route 410 passes across the southeast corner of the town.
Communities and locations in Denmark
Briggs Corners – A hamlet west of Castorland village on NY-410.
Cameron Corners – A hamlet near the north town line, east of Copenhagen village.
Castorland – The village of Castorland is near the east town line on NY-410 and the Black River.
Clark Corners – A hamlet southeast of Copenhagen on NY-12.
Copenhagen – The village of Copenhagen is on NY-12 and the Deer River in the northwest part of the town. It was formerly called “Munger Mills”.

Copenhagen Falls
Copenhagen Falls #1

Copenhagen Falls #1, above the bridge, Lewis County, New York 5-23-2015

 

 

 

 

Copenhagen Falls #2

Copenhagen Falls #2, below the bridge, Lewis County, New York 5-23-2015

 

 

 

 

Deer River – A hamlet north of Denmark village, formerly called Frenchs Mills. The community is located on NY-26 and the Deer River.

Deer River Falls aka Frenchs Mills and Myers Mills

Deer River Falls aka Frenchs Mills and Myers Mills, Lewis County, New York 10-28-2007

 

 

 

 

Deer River Station – A location east of Deer River near the Black River.
Denmark – The hamlet of Denmark on NY-26.
High Falls – A waterfall south of Copenhagen on the Deer River. Private
Kings Falls – A waterfall south of High Falls on the Deer River.

Kings Falls now Private

Kings Falls, Lewis County, New York, 5-23-2015

 

 

 

 

Harrisburg is a town in Lewis County. The town is in the northwest part of the county, northwest of Lowville.
History
Settlement began before 1812. The town of Harrisburg (originally “Harrisburgh”) was formed in 1803 from the towns of Lowville, Champion (in Jefferson County), and Mexico (in Oswego County). After its formation, Harrisburg gave up land to form the town of Denmark (1807) and the town of Pinckney (1808).
Geography
New York State Route 177 crosses the town (east-west), and New York State Route 26 passes along the east part of the town. New York State Route 12 is an east–west highway through the middle of Harrisburg. The Deer River flows northward from the northwest part of Harrisburg.
Communities and locations in Harrisburg
Bellwood – A hamlet on NY-177 in the southwest part of the town.
Harrisburg – The hamlet of Harrisburg is on NY-12 in the northeastern part of the town.
Windecker – A hamlet on NY-177 in the southeast part of the town.

Lewis is a town in Lewis County. The town is named after its county, which is named after former governor, Morgan Lewis. Lewis is situated on the south border of the county and is north of Rome. Most of the town’s population lives in its southern part.
History
The town of Lewis was formed in 1852 from the towns of Leyden and West Turin.
Geography
The south town line is the border of Oneida County. The headwaters of the Mohawk River are located in the eastern part of the town. New York State Route 26 is a major north-south highway through the east part of the town, where it intersects New York State Route 294 at West Leyden. The primary east-west route is County Road 46 (Osceola Road), which passes through the southern part of the town connecting Leisher Mill to West Leyden.
Communities and locations in the town
Fey Mill – A hamlet in the south central part of the town.
Point Rock Creek, Falls on
Fish Creek –  A hamlet near the northeast town line.  A stream flowing out the south part of Lewis.
Fish Creek Reservoir – A reservoir south of Swancott Mill.
Freeman Mill – A hamlet northwest of Parson Mill.
East Branch Fish Creek, small falls on
Lewis Twn, Freeman Mill
Parson Mill – A hamlet west of Fey Mill on County Road 46.
Prussian Settlement – A location west of West Leyden on County Road 46 at the intersection of Kirk Road. This location is marked by a few houses and a cemetery.
Sunset Corners – A location in the north central part of the town, north of Freeman Mill.
Swancott Mill – A hamlet on County Road 46 west of Freeman Mill.

Swancott Mill Dam

Swancott Mill Dam

 

 

 


Swancott Hill State Forest – A state forest tract by the south town line, south of Swancott Mill.
West Leyden – A hamlet in the eastern part of the town on NY-26 near its intersection with NY-294 and County Roads 46 and 47.

West Leyden

 

 

 

 

Leyden is a town in Lewis County. The town is in the south part of the county and is north of Rome.
History
Settlement began around 1794. Leyden was formed from the town of Steuben (in Oneida County) in 1797. Leyden formed part of a tract called the “Inman Triangle”. The town of Leyden gave up much of its territory to form new towns such as Watson (1821) and Lewis (1852). Leyden was also partitioned to form the towns of Brownville (Jefferson County in 1802) and Boonville (Oneida County in 1805), and part of the town of Wilna (Jefferson County in 1813). Port Leyden in the town was a port on the former Black River Canal. The town is named after the Dutch city Leiden.
Geography
The Black River marks the eastern town line, and the south town line is the border of Oneida County. New York State Route 12 and New York State Route 12D are principal north-south highways in the town. NY-12 runs closer to the Black River.
Communities and locations in Leyden
Leyden Hill – A former community in the north part of Leyden.
Locust Grove – A hamlet southwest of Port Leyden and on NY-12D.
The Narrows – A narrow part of the Black River channel.
Port Leyden – Most of the village of Port Leyden is at the eastern town line at the Black River and NY-12.

Port Leyden Dam and Falls

Port Leyden Dam and Falls, Lewis County, New York 10-16-2008

 

 

 

 


Talcottville – A hamlet west of Port Leyden and on NY-12D.

Talcottville Falls aka Sugar River Falls

Talcottville Falls, Lewis County, New York

 

 

 

 

Lowville /ˈlaʊvɪl/ is a town in Lewis County. The town is near the center of the county and is southeast of the city of Watertown. The town of Lowville contains a village also named Lowville. The town is named after Nicholas Low, an early landowner. Low was of Dutch descent, and had emigrated with his wife and three small children from a rural village outside Amsterdam in 1778.
History
Settled in 1798 by a company from Westfield, Massachusetts, the town was formed in 1800 from the town of Mexico in Oswego County. In 1803, part of Lowville was used to form the town of Harrisburg. Peter Ostrum, who played the role of Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, lives in and practices veterinary medicine in Lowville.
Geography
New York State Route 177 ends at New York State Route 12 in Lowville. West-south highways New York State Route 26 and New York State Route 812 also pass through the town. The Black River flows along the east side of the town.
Communities and locations in the town of Lowville
Dadville – A hamlet northeast of Lowville village on NY-812 and the Black River.
Lowville – A village in the eastern part of the town.
Mill Creek – A stream flowing eastward through Lowville village to the Black River.

Silver Creek Falls aka Silver Creek Falls Private

Silver Creek Falls, Lewis County, New York 6-7-2015

 

 

 

 

Moore’s Falls, Silvermine Falls Private

Moores Falls, Lewis County, New York 6-7-2015

 

 

 

 


Smiths Landing – A former community on the shore of the Black River.
Stows Square – A former community, once located north of Lowville village.
http://www.lewiscountyhistory.org/stowe.html
West Lowville – A hamlet in the northwest part of the town at the junction of Routes NY-12 and NY-177.

Martinsburg is a town in Lewis County. The town is named after its founding father, General Walter Martin. Martinsburg is in the west-central part of the county, south of Lowville, the county seat.
History
Martinsburg was established from part of the town of Turin in 1803. When it was formed the town name was spelled “Martinsburgh”. In 1819, the town was augmented by more of Turin.
Geography
The east town line is the Black River. The western part of Martinsburg is on the Tug Hill Plateau. New York State Route 12 and New York State Route 26 are north-south highways through the town with NY-12 being the more easterly route.
Communities and locations in Martinsburg
East Martinsburg – a hamlet east of Martinsburg village and located on NY-12.

Unnamed Stream, Smalls Falls on, Martinsburg TwnThis photo shows the bottom nearest to the road, further up and behind a private home is the others.

Unnamed Stream, falls on, Lewis County, New York 9-20-215

 

 

 


Glendale – a hamlet south of East Martinsburg.

Swan’s Falls Private Land

Swans Falls, Lewis County, New York

 

 

 

 

 


Glenfield – a hamlet east of Glendale on the west side of the Black River.

House Creek Falls

House Creek Falls, Lewis County, New York 10-18-2015

 

 

 


Graves Corners – a location east of Wetmore.
Martinsburg – the hamlet of Martinsburg is on NY-26 south of Lowville; it was the first county seat of Lewis County.

Martinsburg Falls

Martinsburg Falls, Lewis County, New York 6-7-2015

 

 

 

 


McGraw Corners – a location east of Wetmore.
Tabolt Corners – a location by the south town line.
West Martinsburg – a hamlet southwest of Lowville, near the north town line.
Whetstone Gulf State Park – a state park at the south town line.

Whetstone Gulf Falls

Whetstone Gulf Falls, Lewis County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

Wikiloc trail link

Whittaker Falls Park – a park east of Martinsburg village.

Whitaker Falls State Park

Whitaker Middle Falls, Lewis County, New York 10-18-2014

 

 

 

 

Montague is a town in Lewis County. The town is named after Mary Montague Pierpont, the daughter of the original owner. The town is on the west border of Lewis County. Montague is west of Lowville, and is southeast of Watertown.
History
In 1850, the town of Montague was formed from part of the town of West Turin.
Geography
The west town line is the border of Jefferson and Oswego counties.
Communities and locations in Montague
Gardners Corners – A location in the northeast part of the town.
Hooker – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town.
Liberty Corners – A location in the northwest part of the town.
Parkers – A hamlet in the eastern part of the town, south of Rector.
Rector – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town.
Sears Pond – A small lake near the center of the town.
Tug Hill Wildlife Management Area – A conservation area in the eastern part of Montague.

Osceola is a town in Lewis County. The town is named for the Seminole fighter Osceola. The town of Osceola is in the southwest part of Lewis County and is southwest of Lowville, the county seat.

Osceola Falls

Osceola Falls, Lewis County, New York 7-22-2010

 

 

 

 

 


History
Osceola was formed from the town of West Turin in 1844.
Geography
The south town line is the border of Oneida County, and the west town line is the border of Oswego County. The Salmon River, a tributary of Lake Ontario, flows across the southern part of the town.
Communities and locations in Osceola
Monteola – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town. (This hamlet is now abandoned, there is no permanent population and no public road to access it. The only access is by the abandoned G & W railroad bed.)
New Campbellwood Wye – A hamlet in the northwest part of the town. (New Campbellwood Wye is now abandoned and is only accessible via logging trails.)
North Osceola – A hamlet in the west-central part of the town.

Line Brook State Forest, waterfalls in

Line Brook State Forest, waterfalls in 9-11-2017

 

 

 

 

Wikiloc trail link


Old Campbellwood Wye – A hamlet south of Monteola. (Old Campbell Wood Wye is abandoned and there is no public roads to access the location.)
Osceola – The hamlet of Osceola is in the south part of the town on County Road 46.

Pinckney is a town in Lewis County. The town is named after Thomas Pinckney of South Carolina. The town is on the west border of the county and is southeast of Watertown.
History
The town of Pinckney was formed in 1808 from the towns of Harrisburgh and Rodman (then called “Harrison” in Jefferson County).
Geography
The western part of the town is surrounded on three sides by Jefferson County. New York State Route 177 is an east–west highway in the town. The Deer River flows northward through the southeast part of Pinckney.
Communities and locations in Pinckney
Barnes Corners – A hamlet in the southwestern part of the town on NY-177.

Inman Gulf – Rainbow Falls Oak Rim North falls

Inman Gulf, Rainbow Falls, Lewis County, New York 5-23-2015

 

 

 

 

 

Wikiloc trail link


Cronk Corners – A location north of Barnes Corners.
Forks Number Two – A location northeast of Barnes Corners.
Inman Gulf – A canyon in the western part of Pinckney.
Inman Gulf – Oak Rim South Falls

New Boston – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town on NY-177 and the Deer River.
Pinckney Corners – A location in the northeast part of the town.
Shingle Gulf – A canyon in the northwest part of the town.

Turin is a town in Lewis County. Turin has a village, also named Turin. The town is south of Lowville, and north of Rome.
History
The town of Turin was established in 1800 from the town of Mexico (Oswego County). In 1803, part of Turin was used to create the town of Martinsburg. Another part of Turin was added to Martinsburg in 1819. The town of West Turin formed from another part of Turin in 1830.
Geography
The east town line is defined by the Black River. Part of the town is on the Tug Hill Plateau. New York State Route 12 and New York State Route 26 are north-south highways that parallel the Black River through the town. NY-12 is closer to the river.
Communities and locations in the town of Turin
Burdicks Crossing – A former location on the Black River.
Glenfield – A hamlet near the Black River at the town line in the northeast part of the town.
Gomer Hill – An elevation in the western part of Turin.

Mill Creek Falls on #1 (Gomer Hill Rd)

Mill Creek falls on, Gomer Hill Road, Lewis County, New York 6-7-2015

 

 

 

 

House Creek – An east-flowing tributary of the Black River.

MilkHouse Creek Falls

Milk House Falls, Lewis County, New York

 

 

 

 


Houseville – A hamlet on NY-26, north of Turin village. The community is named after its founder, Eleazer House.
Snow Ridge Ski Area – A skiing area north of Turin village.
Turin – A village on NY-26 near the south town line.
Welch Hill – A hamlet by the south town line, west of Turin village.
Whetstone Gulf State Park – A state park at the north town line, north of Houseville.

West Turin is a town in Lewis County. The name is derived from its parent town, Turin. West Turin is in the south-central part of the county and is north of Rome.
History
The town was first settled around 1796, near Constableville. West Turin was formed from part of Turin in 1830 and was subsequently reduced in size by the formation of newer towns: Montague (1850) and Osceola (1844). The town of West Turin now includes the former “Town of Highmarket”, which was disbanded in 1973. Highmarket had been set apart from West Turin in 1852.
Geography
The Black River forms the east town line. West Turin is on the Tug Hill Plateau of northwestern New York. New York State Route 26 and New York State Route 12D are north-south highways. New York State Route 12 is a north-south highway near the Black River.
Communities and locations in West Turin
Byron Corners – A location northwest of Mohawk Hill.
Collinsville – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town, west of Lyons Falls village on NY-12D. The name is from Homer Collins, an early settler.

Unnamed Stream falls on, near Railroad track

Unnamed Stream falls on, near Railroad track, Lewis County, New York 10-18-2014

 

 

 

 

Constableville – The village of Constableville is on NY-26 near the southeast town line.
Fish Creek – A hamlet west of Mohawk Hill by the southwest town line.
High Market – A location north of Byron Corners.
Lyons Falls – Part of the village of Lyons Falls is at the east town line and the Black River. The falls were formerly called the “High Falls”.

 Lyons Falls

Lyons Falls, Lewis County, New York

 

 

 

 

Michigan Mills – A hamlet in the western part of the town.
Mohawk Hill – A hamlet in the south part of the town on NY-26.
Page – A location in the northwest part of the town.
Potters Corners – A location southwest of Collinsville at the junction of Routes NY-12D and NY-26.

  • Share

Donate extra letters or sentences here...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: