logo

Oswego County Part 5- Oswego County and waterfalls on the Salmon River and the Mad River

Salmon River Fish Hatchery, Oswego County, New York

Oswego County
Part 5- Oswego County and waterfalls on the Salmon River and the Mad River
By Bobbieswaterfalls

Continued from Tug Hill Region Waterfalls

Towns that are within the Tug Hill Region
Albion, Amboy, Boylston, Constantia, Hastings, Orwell, Parish, Redfield, West Monroe, Williamstown
Region: Central Region
NYS Tourism Region: Thousand Island-Seaway
NYDEC Region: Central New York

Oswego County does not have many significant waterfalls. However, there are many areas not cataloged or recorded. I have a few locations I am still trying to find or find access for.

Albion is a town in the northeastern part of Oswego County.
History
Prior to 1788, Native Americans would come to the area to hunt and fish for salmon during the spawning season. They called it Alkineaur, meaning “sand bank.” The territory was annexed to the state of New York on 1 March 1788.
Communities and locations in Albion
Albion Center – A hamlet southwest of Altmar.
Altmar – A hamlet on State Route 13 and the Salmon River.
Barber Corners – A location north of Albion Center.
Centerville – A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town, north of Pineville.
Dugway – A hamlet on State Route 104 west of Howardville.
Howardville – A hamlet on State Route 104 in the south part of the town and south of Albion Center.
Maple Corners – A location at the west town line.

Grindstone Creek

Grindstone Creek Dam falls, Oswego County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mosher Corners – A hamlet in the south part of the town.
Pineville – A hamlet on the Salmon River northwest of Altmar on State Route 13.

Salmon River Fish Hatchery

Salmon River Fish Hatchery, Oswego County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Amboy is a town in Oswego County. The town is named after a location in New Jersey. The Town of Amboy is in the southeastern part of the county.
History
The Town of Amboy was created in 1830 from part of the Town of Williamstown. It lies on the east border of the county, a little south of the center. The town is principally drained by small streams which are tributary to Oneida Lake. There is a series of ponds in the western part, locally known as Upper and Lower Ponds and North and South Ponds. Panther Lake extends into the southeastern corner of the town from Constantia. Fish Creek flows east across the corner of the town into Oneida county. Little River rises in the central part and flows southeasterly out of the county. The north half of the town is within the gray limestone region and the southern half is a part of the red sandstone region. The town is township number six of Scriba’s patent, by which it was called” Middleburgh,”.
Geography
The east town line is the border of Oneida County.
Communities and locations in Amboy
Amboy Center – A hamlet on Route 69.
Carterville – A hamlet in the southeast corner of the town.
East Amboy – A hamlet east of Amboy Center on Route 69.
Jamison Corners – A location east of East Amboy.
Mud Hill – A hamlet north of Amboy Center on Route 183.
North Amboy – A hamlet near the north town line.
Panther Lake – A lake on the south town line.
Panther Lake – A hamlet on the town line in the southeast corner of the town.
West Amboy – A hamlet near the west town line on Route 69.

Boylston is a town in Oswego County. The name is that of the first landowner of the tract that became the town. The Town of Boylston is located on the north boundary of the county.
History
The region was first called “Campania” and was first settled around 1812. Boylston was created from part of the Town of Orwell in 1828.
Geography
The north town line with part of the west town line is the border of Jefferson County, New York.
Communities and locations in Boylston
Boylston Center – A hamlet located near the center of the town at Routes NY-13 and 50.
East Boylston – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town on Route 17.
Hemlock District – A location east of Boylston Center.
North Boylston – A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town.
Plantz Corners – A hamlet near the east town line on Routes 13 and 17.
Smartville – A hamlet south of Boylston Center on Route 50.
Tamarack Swamp – A bog in the southeast part of the town.

Constantia is a town in Oswego County. The Town of Constantia is in the southeast part of the county. Located within the town is a hamlet and census-designated place also named Constantia.

I was given information that there is a waterfall somewhere upstream of the Oneida Fish Hatchery in Constantia. I have yet to locate it.

History
The town was first settled around 1793 and was known then as “Rotterdam.” The Town of Constantia was created from part of the Town of Mexico in 1808. In 1825, the town was reduced by the formation of the Town of Hastings, and was reduced again in 1839 to form the Town of West Monroe.
Geography
The south town line is the opposite shore of Oneida Lake, which is the border of Madison County. The east town line is the border of Oneida County. The Erie Canal, runs through the town, using Oneida Lake as a waterway. The north boundary is marked by the south edge of the Tug Hill Plateau.
Communities and locations in Constantia
Bernhards Bay – A hamlet on the shore of Oneida Lake.
Cleveland – The Village of Cleveland is on the north shore of Oneida Lake, on Route 49.
Carroll Corners – A location between Gay Corners and Dutcherville.
Constantia – The hamlet of Constantia is on the shore of Oneida Lake on Route 49. The community was incorporated as a village in 1837, but abandoned that status in 1923.
Constantia Center – A hamlet northwest of Cleveland.
Doris Park – A hamlet on the shore of Oneida Lake, southwest of Constantia village.
Dutcherville – A hamlet north of Nicholsville.
Gayville – A hamlet north of Constantia village.
Halls Corners – A location east of North Constantia by the north town line.
Nicholsville – A hamlet northeast of Constantia village.
North Constantia – A hamlet north of Gayville.
Panther Lake – A hamlet and resort north of Bernhards Bay.
Panther Lake – A lake located by the hamlet of Panther Lake.

Hastings is a town in Oswego County. The town is named after Hastings Curtiss, a prominent citizen and member of the State Assembly in 1824. The Town of Hastings is on the south border of the county. U.S. Route 11 and Interstate 81 pass through the town.
History
Hastings was the first town settled in Oswego County when Oliver Stevens built a rude house near the abandoned Fort Brewerton in 1789. Stevens used the location to trade with Indians and to provide a tavern-like establishment for the boatmen who frequented the nearby river and lake. The region was originally called “Breda.” The town was formed in 1825 from Constantia.
Geography
The south town line is the Oneida River and the border of Onondaga County. The south tip of the town is at the west end of Oneida Lake where it becomes the Oneida River.
Communities and locations in Hastings
Bardeen Corners – A hamlet south of Hastings village on Route 11.
Benders Corners – A location near the west town line.
Brewerton – A hamlet that is also located in Onondaga County.
Carley Mills – A hamlet east of Hastings village.
Caughdenoy – A hamlet by the west town line in the southwest corner of Hastings. It was first settled around 1797 and is by the Oneida River. It was a center for catching and smoking eels for the market.
Central Square – The Village of Central Square is in the south part of the town on Route 11.
Emmons Siding – A location in the south part of the town near Oneida Lake.
Gardners Corners – A location west of Hastings village.
Hastings – The hamlet of Hastings is in the northern part of the town on U.S. Route 11.
Hastings Center – A hamlet north of Central Square at the intersection of County Route 4 and Perfield Road.
Little France – A hamlet on the east town line, which had early settlers from France and French Canada.
Mallory – A hamlet by the east town line.
Mallory Station – A location west of Mallory.
McMahon Corners – A location north of Caughdenoy on the west town line.
Morse – A hamlet east of Hastings village and south of Carley Mills.
Piquet Corners – A location south of Bardeen Corners on Route 11.

Orwell is a town in Oswego County. The town was named after Orwell, Vermont. The Town of Orwell is in the north-central part of the county.
History
The Town of Orwell was created from part of the Town of Richland in 1817. In 1828, Orwell was reduced by the founding of the Town of Boylston, but more territory was obtained from Richland in 1844.
Communities and locations in Orwell
Beecherville – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town, northeast of Stillwater.
Bennett Bridge – A location south of Pekin.

Bennett Bridge

Bennets Bridge, Oswego County, New York 3-23-2008

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Castor Corners – A location northwest of Orwell village.
Chateaugay – A hamlet east of Orwell village. It was also called “Shatagee.”
Little America – A location southeast of Stillwater.
New Scriba – A hamlet on the north town line east of Vorea.
Orwell – The hamlet of Orwell, sometimes called “Orwell Corners,” is at the junction of Routes 2 and 22.
Salmon River Falls – A 110-foot (34 m) waterfall located within the town.

Salmon River Falls

Salmon River Falls, Oswego County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Salmon River Reservoir – Part of the reservoir is in the southeast part of the town.
Stillwater – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town. The Stillwater Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Vorea – A hamlet northeast of Orwell village near the north town line.

Parish is a town in Oswego County. The Town of Parish was created from the Town of Mexico in 1828. There is a village called Parish in the town.
Communities and locations in the Town of Parish
Parish – The Village of Parish.

Redfield is a town in Oswego County. The Town of Redfield was incorporated from part of the Town of Mexico in 1800. The town is in the northeast corner of the county.
Geography
The north town line is the border of Jefferson County, and the east town line is the border of Lewis County. Redfield is on the Tug Hill Plateau of northwestern New York.
Communities and locations in Redfield
Greenboro – A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town on Route 17.
Noble Shores – A hamlet by the west town line and north of the Salmon River.
Redfield – The hamlet of Redfield in the southeast part of the town on Route 17. The community is north of the Salmon River.

Stoney Brook at High Braes Refuge

Stoney Brook Falls, Oswego County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Salmon River – A stream flowing through the town and widening into a reservoir near the community of Redfield.
Salmon River Reservoir – A reservoir located partly in the town.

Mad River Falls

Mad River Upper Falls, Oswego County, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

West Monroe is a town in Oswego County. The Town of West Monroe is in the southeast part of the county.
Geography
The town’s boundaries traverse Oneida Lake, with the town’s southern boundary located at the mean high-water mark on the south shore of Oneida Lake.
Communities and locations in West Monroe
Gulf Bridge –
Little France –
Mallory – A hamlet on the west town line.
Mud Settlement –
Toad Harbor – A hamlet on the shore of Oneida Lake.
Union Settlement –
Vorhees Corners – A hamlet on the town line in the northwest corner of the town. –
West Monroe –
Whig Hill –

Williamstown is a town in Oswego County. The Town of Williamstown is on the county’s east border.
History
Williamstown became an official town after separating from Mexico, part of Oneida County at the time on March 24, 1804.
Geography
The east town line is the border of Oneida County.
Communities and locations in Williamstown
Checkered House – A location in the western part of the town on Route 13.
Happy Valley – A hamlet on the west town line.
Kasoag – A hamlet in the center of the town. Kasoag was originally an old Oneida Indian trail from Oneida Castle to the Salmon River, and many relics of the Oneidas are still found in Kasoag to this day.
Maple Hill – A hamlet north of Williamstown village
Ricard – A hamlet in the north part of the town.
Williamstown – The hamlet of Williamstown is in the southeast part of the town on Route 13.

Miller road

Miller Road West, New York

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Case Wall – The Case Wall two miles north of the Town of Williamstown was built by Jonathan Case Jr. from 1838-1880. Case Wall is a famous and historical sight. Case Wall is also two miles long. Officials in Williamstown are working on getting the Case Wall on a national registry which would make it illegal for people to steal the flat stones of the wall which is common at this sight. http://history.rays-place.com/ny/williamstown.htm

Additional Waterfalls on Salmon River and the Mad River and not included in writeup

Mad River Middle Falls aka Stadium Ledge
Mad River Upper Falls aka Otto Mills Falls
Mad River Falls
Mad River Section Above Upper Falls

The following is a Private Family Retreat, and prior phone call for permission and access is a MUST!
Stony Brook Falls In High Braes Refuge Campground, Lower
Stony Brook Falls In High Braes Refuge Campground, Middle
Stony Brook Falls In High Braes Refuge Campground, Upper

Stoney Brook Falls, Oswego County, New York

  • Share

Donate extra letters or sentences here...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: